Sunday, April 20, 2008

Slowly getting a little better...

Well i have to say that this week went by sooo fast and wasn't as bad as last week. It is a slow recuperation but i'm glad its coming along for me. So Laurie, i know you can do this! PCN is today and i know you'll rock the show!



So after getting the grade back from the exam, which i didn't do that well in, i have to say that i really wasn't suprised. A part of my wishes that i had done better but its past now. Like Laurie said, I can't do anything about it now. Other than the sad results of the exam and wishing everyone good luck on their second paper, i really don't have too much to say about this week's classes. I guess its just the fact that My Country Versus Me is a pretty self-explanatory book, that we really can't get too much into it.



One thing i do want to talk about is the VSA Culture Show i went to last night and PCN, which i'll be attending later this afternoon. VSA Culture Show was pretty good, it was set up differently than i would've expected but it just meant that there was only one story going on for the entire show, unifying and strengthening its message. The only downsides i thought of the production was that the story lagged in some parts and longer than the typical musical, causing me to lose focus and interest at some parts. However, i'm really excited about PCN, the only thing that i'm wondering about is how the entire show would be tied together under one message to the masses. In contrast with VSA, which was really one story, PCN sounds like a lot of different stories put together. I'm just hoping the message will be as or more powerful than VSA's.

As for next week, i'm slowly making my way through Obasan. In my opinion, the start was kind of slow and a little confusing but, for me, the story is starting to come together. The part that started to catch my attention is when they are beginning to be taken to the concentration camps. One of the points that they make in the book is that the canadian-born nissei are being rounded up while the german-born germans in canada roam free. And I agree with that statement. There could be no other reason for this than straight-up prejudice. The japanese definitely look different from the regular white man, and they get unfairly punished for it. I'll save all my thought for next week though, i haven't finished the book yet. haha. =P

So message to all of you: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK because we're almost done with this semester, just about a month left. We can all do this, even if sometimes we feel as if we'll never get through all this.

Precious Guan

No comments: