Sunday, April 6, 2008

BUSY BUSY BUSY BEEEEEESSSSS

I really enjoyed the members of the Hyphen Magazine staff coming to speak with us. I feel like they are doing something that I could really relate with. They are trying to create a space for people who are not normally allowed to voice their opinions in the “mainstream” media. In our discussion today, one of our classmates said that in order for them to stay afloat and to gain a wider audience, they should go more “mainstream,” but I tend to disagree with that. I understand that their work and content might be a little to … hipster, for lack of a better word. But they have the right to publish a magazine with this type of content. Obviously, it’s not going to attract all of the Asian American community. However, I feel that Hyphen is a magazine that will appeal to the more socially, politically, and creatively-savvy members of the Asian American community. Plus, A Magazine seemed to be geared more toward the mainstream and yet … it still went under. I think it’d be really cool to intern for the magazine. I’ve had experience with publications as the editor of my high school yearbook. But Hyphen, I think, would be more fulfilling and with a more compelling mission.

In terms of all the things we have going on this week in this class, I feel like it’s a bit overwhelming. We have an exam tomorrow, a paper due in conference, and we need to have finished My Country Versus Me by Thursday. This seems to be too much to be due all in one week, especially for Dao and her group who have to present also. Maybe next time, Chia-Chi and Christine, you can schedule the syllabus to have all of this spread out more. I think if the exam was maybe a week or two earlier, it would be a lot easier on us all. As for my essay, I am still working on my thesis. I know for sure that I am writing it on America is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan. But we’ll see how this one ends up …

Coming up this week is Senior Weekend. It’s an event put on by the multicultural recruitment and retention centers on campus: PASS (Pilipino Academic Student Services), RAZA (the Latino/Latino and Chicano/Chicana Recruitment and Retention Center), NARC (the Native American Recruitment and Retention Center), BRRC (the Black Recruitment and Retention Center), and REACH! (the Asian and Pacific Islander Recruitment and Retention Center). Newly admitted high school seniors are invited to stay for a few days to get the feel of what it means to be a Cal student. This is important for members of minority groups in that it allows them to understand even more that they can be part of a community like Berkeley, and that they can be successful here too. Unfortunately did not go to Senior Weekend, but for those I know who did go, it was a deciding factor for them to coming to Cal. I’m going to be hosting a senior myself and I can’t wait to show them the right path to becoming a Golden Bear! Yay!

Laurie Bailon <3

No comments: