Sunday, March 2, 2008

Asian political passivity.

I don't really have anything specific I want to blog about this week. I think it's interesting that we discussed the topic of Asian passivity in class last week. It's definitely apparent, especially in the political aspect and perhaps, the most important aspect. I am personally very attached to my political values and not just because I am a political science major but because it's important for us to hold onto our democratic way of government and to perpetuate the ideas that the forefathers of this country meant for everyone to have.
It's definitely true that Asians are more politically passive than others and I think this stems from their culture. I think most Asians would rather be on the sidelines than to be involved in the game. Isn't that why we barely have any Asians representing us in government? I think we were taught from a younger age to protect ourselves, even if that means keeping quiet. I've seen this evident especially in Asian women.
A few weeks ago, I was interning for the Hillary Clinton campaign making calls on behalf of the campaign headquarters to garner support for her as a presidential candidate in the California primary. I was assigned to a middle-aged Asian women, all registered Democrats, demographic to target. I noticed a trend. Whenever their husbands would pick up, they would not let me speak to their wives. Why was this? Their husbands were either Obama supporters or not tolerating of a woman running for office.
Of course there's a sense of domination on the part of the Asian males in relationships sometimes and I find that it's really pathetic that even though they seem to have such a "strong" opinion on a woman running, a lot of them don't even show up to the polls to vote for their male candidate.
It's sad that not more Asians are politically active on the national scale but I am glad that at least here on the UC Berkeley campus, we have clubs like API or the APA to prove that Asians can make a difference. It's just got to start somewhere.
How is everyone's final draft of the first essay coming along? I am a little nervous about turning this in because I feel like I am missing something very important, I just don't know what it is. I appreciate all of the feedback I got from you guys from my last post, it is really helping me out in what I am going to include in my essay. I'm glad I got to see it from your perspectives! All of your essay ideas sound great and I am excited to read them in class when we do revisions!

Keep on truckin',

Dao Nguyen

No comments: