Friday, February 29, 2008

Hey everyone!

What shall I talk about today? I actually thought today's discussion about Asian American as model minorities and why we might be considered "passive" was very interesting. Many of the points made in class really made sense and made me think. Having taken Asian American Studies 20A, seminars in APATH (Asian Pacific American Theme House), and now this Asian American R2A class, I’m really starting to understand the history of Asian Americans and its importance.
On the topic of Asian Americans as the model minority, I think that most Asian Americans, as mentioned by a few of the students in class, are satisfied with their lifestyle and don’t want to create havoc with protests that might not even get them anywhere, in the sense of politics. They would rather improve themselves (because in life, the only person you can totally control is yourself) and win the society’s heart by their virtues. For some, this actually proved true, with many Asian American students doing well in schools and getting accepted into prestige universities. But for some, no matter how intelligent or hardworking or diligent, they are unable to overcome the oppression or discriminations from other races. Till this day, we still have the glass ceiling (or bamboo ceiling). This concept is saying that when the Asian Americans want to improve their status, like by becoming a manager or CEO, they often hit a glass ceiling/bamboo ceiling. In the glass ceiling, you can see the position and see the opportunity but because of the ceiling, you are unable to go up. The bamboo ceiling is the same concept; instead of a glass ceiling that you can see through the transparent ceiling, the bamboo ceiling can bend. As it bends, it feels like you’re improving and might get a chance at promotion but it can only bend so far. You’re still stuck under this ceiling. This has not happened to me personally but I’m sure it has happened to a lot of promising Asian Americans want to get promoted to head positions but are denied because of their race or ethnicity. This situation was actually presented to me in my APATH seminar class. I’ve never noticed this because I have not been working long, but now that I think about it, I don’t see many Asian American CEOs or hotel managers, etc.
Going on to another topic, I also agreed with a student today in class, who said that Asian Americans don’t go into constant strikes or protests because they weigh their profits and loss and realize that it is not worth it to go into a big strike for something small that they can endure. You can argue that something small may become something bigger later on or that we have the right to fight for our rights and so we should. But I think I can understand why they don’t. I mean, while you’re fighting for your rights, you still have to support your family and earn an income. You still have to think of your children. Why risk getting fired and losing income? A lot of first generation Asian American parents tend to think like that. They put their families first and are used to being enduring and being patient, waiting for things to change. I’m not saying this is the right or wrong way. I’m actually in the middle. I want to fight for our rights but I think there are things more important. Yet, if we fight now, it may be better for the future. I’m thoroughly confused.
This is just my opinion; I don’t think I’m right or that I’m wrong. I’m just thinking.

No comments: